It’s May 28th. And I still have projects, and no recent blog posts, about Malabrigo March. Yes, MARCH.
Where does that mysterious thing called “time” go? …I think I am knitting in a Malabrigo-induced stupor.
Real Life has actually just been busy with grad school, work, and other things such as knitting and beautiful spring weather. Because of all of the above, this blog has been a little sparse! But, I thought I should give you an update on my original Mal March projects (find blog post 1 here and blog post 2 here) so I can move past those and blog about other knitting news!
I finished two projects in my last post, and since then, I have finished the shawl, second cowl, and pair of mittens.
Here was my progress on March 28:
And here is my progress as of today! (Skeins and balls of yarn have been removed, so I feel like I accomplished more and thus feel better about myself.) 🙄
Of course, March has already passed, so me finishing any more of these projects doesn’t count for any special prize, except that I am getting closer to finishing what I started!
Let’s start with the most striking project, or so I think. I actually did finish this on March 27, but didn’t get photos in time for my last blog post.
The Monsoon Shawl by Angela T. (or, my “Mal Hug” as I call it on Ravelry), was definitely an exercise in lace for me. I do not knit lace very often, and I think there is good reason for that. I thought this pattern would be easy; it calls for worsted weight yarn, and BIG needles (US 10.5, to be exact). On the other hand, regular lace would use lace or fingering weight yarn (a.k.a. “kite string,” as my Significant Other refers to it) and veeeery small needles (smaller than US 10.5, at least). No problems, right? WRONG. I had to rip back rows about 100 different times (or so it felt), because of all the silly mistakes I made. Plus, I felt like such a dummy when I couldn’t read the simple chart for the edging at the end, as I thought I was on my way to becoming a Master Chart Reader. Plus, when I finished it, the shawl looked teeny tiny compared to what the pattern showed (I ALMOST ripped it all out. Then I gave blocking a try, and it was magic.)
Oh, well; all of that mental sweat was worth it!
It used just over 2.5 skeins of Rios, which is not bad at all. Also, since Rios grows like crazy when blocked, this shawl turned out huge! (I should have known it would all work out okay.)
Actually, it was quite crazy to see just how much it grew before and after blocking.
For good measure, here’s one more finished photo:
If you are interested, check out my Mal Hug on Ravelry for more photos and detailed notes about my project!
The second project that I have not written about yet was my second Collina Cowl by Jenn E.. (And if knitting 2 of the same pattern wasn’t enough, I just technically finished my 4th Collina Cowl this past Tuesday. Yikes. Guess I like this pattern.)
I used leftover yarn from my Malabrigo Stockpile sweater I knit last October; it equaled exactly one skein of Rios.
Can you tell where I changed skeins? 😉 But that’s okay, since you can’t see that when I am wearing it:
Check out my project notes here on Ravelry for my Mal Cowl, take 2!
And finally, I finished the pair of mittens. While these mittens and the above cowl did not make the March deadline, it was still satisfying to finish them fairly quick!
I used Malabrigo Worsted in the color Garden Gate. These are a fantastic match with my new hot pink winter coat!
Here’s my project page for my Trestlewood Mittens, if you are interested in seeing my slight modifications!
Overall, I’d say it was a successful first Mal March. I may or may not be plotting already for next year!
If you’d like more day-by-day updates, rather than once or twice a month updates, check out my profiles below on Facebook, Instagram, or Ravelry!
* * * * * * *
As always, thanks for reading!
Don’t forget to follow my blog by email at the top right of the screen