If only I could always have a high to low ratio of finishing projects:casting on. I was able to finish 3 projects since my last post (eek – 1 month ago!), and control myself by only starting 2 more, since I still have 7 projects in time out.
First, I finished my bulky weight cardigan – took me just over a month. I would have finished sooner, but the variegated yarn wasn’t on my side! It’s Plymouth Encore Chunky Colorspun with teal, pink, purple, and grey. I first bought 2 skeins at a yarn store about 7 years ago, and liked it so much I decided to make a plain pullover a few years later.
Since this was before my knowledge of The Importance of Dye Lots, I searched yarn stores over the country to buy just 4 skeins. For some reason, only a shop out east would sell me 4 – otherwise I’d have to buy a bag of at least 10 (probably ’cause this color is so crazy, and they don’t want to be stuck with it). So I ordered it, and knit the sweater front, and realized pretty quick after joining the new yarn there was a VERY big difference between the dye lots – the new skeins are more “grey,” while the originals were pretty black and had much more muted teals/pinks/purples.
Fast forward to now. I decided to conquer this crazy color by knitting a simple cardigan, “Iced” by C. Feller, from Knity, First Fall 2010. I knew I wouldn’t have enough for the front band, so I bought some Bernat Roving from JoAnn’s craft store – it was the closest I could find to match the grey. I up-sized to US 13 needles.
It was going all fine and dandy until the sleeves – then the stars and planets aligned to make Really Noticeable Stripes when I decreased.
I ripped out and re-knit a handful of times – decreasing a little different, joining a new skein, blah blah blah. But nope, those stripes weren’t going anywhere. So I decided to rip back where the needle is in the photo and do 2×2 ribbing for 14 rounds on US 11 needles.
On the body, I followed the decrease instructions for the shaping and then only increased once, then attached the roving yarn after the body measured 11″ from the armpits. I did 2×2 ribbing for 2″, again on the smaller needles.
The pattern calls for a garter stitch band, and like some other knitters on Ravelry, I opted for a 2×2 ribbed front. I used the roving on the smaller needles, and followed the pattern for picking up stitches. This time, the stars and planets were aligned in my favor as I ended with the right amount of stitches to start and end with k2. 😉
I ended my front band shorter, at 5″ long, and sewed on two 1-3/8″ black coconut buttons with good ol’ Red Heart pink acrylic yarn. I also sewed my buttons on lower than the original pattern, as my sweater body’s length is shorter. And I used black fingering wool to crochet a chain for the button loops.
Overall, I’m pleasantly surprised with how this turned out! (Although my significant other said that if I wore this when I was with him, he wouldn’t walk by me. Gee, thanks a lot.) The chest is 45″, with the collar overlapped, but it isn’t too huge on me! I could have decreased a little quicker on the sleeves, which I did already, but then the stripey thing may have happened sooner.
When I need to get my creative juices flowing, I feel like I could put this on and then get one of those cartoon light bulbs over my head 😉 I only used slightly more than 3 skeins of the crazy yarn, so I still have 1 that is lurking in my stash. Darn!
I will definitely make this again, but probably with a nice muted tone….
Stay tuned for the next post (I promise I’ll post sooner than last time). I’ll show you my finished Fiesta Socks and what socks I started!
(P.S. The third project I finished will be posted when the designer releases the pattern! I can’t wait to show you that one!)