Whew. Finally finished that black Navy watch cap. Took two weeks, but I really shouldn’t be complaining as I completed three test knits during that time: two different hats and one fingerless glove 🙂 (…post coming in future on that experience!)
It turned out so nice and warm, yet thin, and stretchy and…ok, ok, I need to stop. Clearly, I am slightly biased towards it.
The simple pattern yet tedious k1, p1 ribbing throughout yielded a very nice hat – my mother’s cousin requested it since he was in the Navy. Because the pattern in Ravelry is a 1941 American Red Cross pattern, many knitters made modifications to the pattern, and you can check out my project page to see exactly what I did, after I read some other project notes.
Of course, I messed up on the first row of ribbing, getting off after about the 10th stitch. (And there was no way I was ripping out 140 stitches!) So there is a mini-seed stitch edge, which prevents the bottom edge from pulling together nicely. Ah well.
So if you have about 62 grams of fingering weight yarn to spare (I used Knit Picks Palette), US #2.5 (3mm) needles or so, and don’t mind 11 inches of ribbing, this would be a fantastic present for a cap-loving relative or friend this Christmas. But, I’m not so sure if I’d recommend black yarn….I couldn’t knit at night without light 😉